Patient engagement is an integral part of improving patient health and patient outcomes. As first step toward increased patient and family member engagement, we at Midwest Kidney Network needed to learn more about what ESRD facilities were already doing. We asked facilities in our 5-state region to share their challenges and best practices.
Challenges and Suggestions
Facilities reported that time, transportation, and coordination of team schedules were significant barriers to increased patient engagement. In addition, facilities offered the following suggestions to make improvements.
- Educate patients in the earlier stages of Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD).
- Communicate frequently with family members or caregivers.
- Encourage patients to talk with family members.
Best Practices for Engaging Patients in Facility QAPI/FHM Meetings (Updated June 2023)
Best Practices for LifePlans (Updated October 2023)
Care Partner Tri-fold from Consumer Committee (Uploaded Sept 2023)
For an introduction & overview of the Patient & Family Engagement Project: click here
Please provide feedback through a brief two question survey: click here
ESRD National Coordinating Center (NCC) resources:
Patient Resource Page https://www.esrdncc.org/en/patients/
Quality Assurance and Performance Improvement (QAPI) https://www.esrdncc.org/globalassets/professionals/helpptsunderstandqapi508.pdf
CAHPS fact sheet (uploaded June 2023): click here
Additional ESRD NCC Peer Mentoring program resources can be found here (updated June 2023): https://www.kidneylearninghub.com/resources/
Improving Patient and Family engagement for both professionals and patients:
- Help Patients Understand Their Role in QAPI
- Help Patients Understand Their Role in QAPI (Spanish)
- Patient Engagement in Quality Assessment and Performance Improvement (QAPI)
- Part 2: Overcoming Barriers With QAPI
- Creating a Life Plan
- Part 2: Assisting Patients With Life Planning
- Creating a Life Plan
- Creating a Life Plan (Spanish)
- Part 2: Implementing a Life Plan
- Part 2: Implementing a Life Plan (Spanish)
- Understanding and Participating in QAPI
- Understanding and Participating in QAPI (Spanish)
- Part 2: Overcoming Barriers to Attending QAPI Meetings
- Part 2: Overcoming Barriers to Attending QAPI Meetings (Spanish)