View COVID-19 updates and resources here.
Because dialysis facilities provide life-sustaining treatment to patients with kidney failure, it is imperative that they be prepared in the event of an emergency. Dialysis facilities (and patients) are usually not included in state and local disaster plans, and must provide for their own survival.
CMS Expectations for the ESRD Community
- Review the 2017 Federal Regulations regarding Emergency Preparedness (PDF pages 67-71; sections 63925-63929)
- Review the State Operations Manual Appendix Z - Emergency Preparedness for All Provider and Certified Supplier Types Interpretive Guidance
- Establish Disaster Coordinators at each facility.
- Notify Midwest Kidney Network of your facility’s open or closed status following a disaster event.
What We Can Do to Assist You
- Provide emergency preparedness brochures for your patients.
- Assist family members and facilities in determining the dialysis location of displaced patients.
- Coordinate with dialysis facilities and emergency workers to ensure patient access to dialysis.