Part of our work with the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) is to support gainful employment for end-stage renal disease patients through vocational rehabilitation (voc rehab). We do this by providing technical assistance to dialysis facility staff, including the social worker, on ways to educate and encourage patients to return to work or school. Dialysis patients can return to work, maintain their dialysis schedule, and live a full and healthy life by picking the best options for their lifestyle.
Resources for Promoting and Supporting Vocational Rehabilitation
- Vocational Rehabilitation Best Practices strategies from multiple ESRD Networks on improving vocational rehabilitation
- Vocational Rehabilitation Facility Checklist - video (from QSource ESRD Network 10) outlines key steps in supporting vocational rehabilitation in your facility
- Vocational Rehabilitation Documentation how to accurately document a vocational rehabilitation status in EQRS
- Ticket to Work webinars provided the Social Security Administration educate patients about programs and work incentives for people who receive Social Security benefits.
- Can I work on dialysis? videos of patients sharing their experiences with working on dialysis